MENU

CASfront

          Pampanga Agricultural College was established by the Spaniards as an agricultural experimental station in 1885. Its original name was Estacion Pecuaria but was later renamed La Granja Modelo de Magalang. In 1910, it opened as the Magalang Farm School through the leadership and initiative of Governor Honorio Ventura, Assemblyman Andres Luciano, and the American District Supervisor, Kilmer Moe. It attained its status as Rural Secondary School and later named to Pampanga Agricultural School in 1919. Two years later, the school started to offer a curriculum for both intermediate and high school levels. The passage of Commonwealth Act No. 313 would have elevated it as Pampanga Agricultural High School, but the unstable peace and order situation led to its second closure. It resumed its operations as Pampanga National Agricultural School (PNAS) in December 1953, by virtue of Republic Act NO. 948. It gained its status as a college through House Bill 4576, otherwise known as Republic Act 4576.

          As a college, it started to offer the two year agriculture course in 1969. Five years after, it attained the status of a state college, with Superintendent Felix V. Remigio as the first President. The offering of the Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education in 1976 led to the creation of the Department of Arts and Sciences from then Academic Department. Upon the retirement of President Remigio, Dr. Fortunato A. Battad was appointed by then President Ferdinand E. Marcos as the second president of the College on April 7, 1978. By the outset of SY 1982-1983, other curricular offerings were implemented, making the Department of Arts and Sciences responsible in catering the academic subject needs of the various courses and curricula. In SY 1997-1998, the Department of Arts and Sciences started to function as a degree-granting department, offering BS Biology, BS Mathematics, and AB English. In June 2005, it started to offer BS Development Communication.

          Upon the transfer of President Fortunato A. Battad to Benguet State University in 1983, Dr. Fredesswinda R. Serrano was designated in-charge from November to December 1983. In 1984, Dr. Ladislao P. Avila was designated Officer-in-Charge until April 30 of the same year. Effective May 1, 1984, Dr. Ramon L. Simbulan was designated by President Ferdinand E. Marcos as acting president of the College. On July 25, 1986, his appointment as college President was signed by Her Excellency President Corazon Aquino. Upon the resignation of Dr. Simbulan as PAC President on March 31, 1999, Dr. Emelita C. Kempis was designated as the Officer-in-Charge until the Board of Trustees unanimously choose Dr. Zosimo M. Battad as the fourth president on July 20, 1999. He served PAC for two terms (eight years).

          On September 7, 2005, the Department became the Institute of Arts and Sciences, as per Board Resolution No. 05-89 with Dr. Epifania S. Gosioco, serving as the first IAS Dean from June 2005 to May 2010. From June 2010 to February 2013, Dr. Jacqueline V. Bagunu was appointed the 2nd dean of the Institute. Upon the designation of Dr. Bagunu as the vice president for academic affairs, Dr. Nora P. Lucero took over and became the 3rd dean of IAS. In the following years, IAS continued catering to the general education needs of the various courses offered by the Pampanga Agricultural College.

          Appointed in July 2007, Dr. Honorio M. Soriano Jr. became PAC's 5th president. On June11, 2013, President Benigno Aquino III signed Republic Act 10605 which converts PAC to Pampanga State Agricultural University (PSAU). This was validated on January 13, 2015 through CHED En Banc Resolution No. 006-2105, making PAC the first state college to be granted a university status based on merits. With the conversion of the college to a university, Dr. Soriano was installed as the first university president.

          With the birth of PSAU, it was necessary that different colleges must be established, hence, the College of Arts and Sciences as per Board Resolution No. 26 s. 2015. In June 2015, Dr. Evelyn V. Totaan was appointed as the dean of the College.

The Leaders of the Arts and Sciences through the Years:

June 1984 to May 1985 Ninfa R. Simbulan Chair
June 1985 to May 1986 Emerenciana S. Ugalde Chair
June 1986 to May 1988 Corazon N. Morales Chair
June 1988 to May 1990 Victor L. Gamboa Chair
June 1990 to July 16, 1990 Edralina P. Serrano Chair
July 17, 1990 to September 23, 1990 Jacqueline V. Bagunu Acting Chair
September 24, 1990 to October  23, 1991 Jacqueline V. Bagunu Chair
Nov. 1991 to May 2001 Teresita D. Miranda Chair
June 2001 to May 2003 Teresita S. Castro Chair
June 2003 to May 2005 Jocelyn M. Viste Chair
June 2005- May 2007 Epifania S. Gosioco Chair
June 2007-May 2010 Epifania S. Gosioco Dean
June 2010 to February 2013 Jacqueline V. Bagunu Dean
February 2013 to June 2015 Nora P. Lucero Dean
June 2015 to present Evelyn V. Totaan Dean